To be a Mother, I once heard it said, is to go around forever wearing your heart on the outside of your body. Truer words have never been spoken. I also concur with the old adage: "Time is the enemy of a mother." Raising girls is the most amazing experience of my life--and I am certainly learning more from them than I will likely ever teach. Isn't life funny that way? One of the best lessons they have for me is to SLOW DOWN and to find adventure in the every day. To that end, we are forging our own path together; taking the road less-traveled, knowing that there is more to this life than what it seems. And do you know what fosters togetherness and peace in our hearts and household more than anything else? Dinnertime--together and at the dining table. No distractions, no exceptions. I think if more families would sit down together for dinner at least a few nights a week, it would change our world for the better. So raise a glass and toast the lost art of dinnertime. Won't you join us?

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Next stop... India!

Yeesh. Remind me next time to start a blog at the beginning of an adventure, rather than trying to make so many entries witty and interesting after the fact. Like getting behind in your diary, right??

Japan was lovely, indeed, but we were ready to move on to India--a country with a special connection to our family. My grandfather worked in Indian agriculture for a number of years in the 1950s. My father attended a missionary school in Trivandrum (or Thiruvananthapuram, as it is known today.) We have a lot of art, artifacts and photos from their time in that beautiful land. "Poppy", as he is known to the girls, mailed AB some Indian rupees to take to school. I wished she could have taken Poppy to school for show and tell, but he lives too far away for an impromtu visit. AB was proud of her Indian flag and mini-book she had created and really wanted Poppy to see them. How did I solve this problem? By taking yet another plunge... this time by the name of Skype. How many of you are Skypers out there? For all I know, this has been around for years and I am just now figuring out about it, but this blog is for celebrating kitchen adventures, not technological ignorance. (Thank goodness.) Our inaugural Skype flight was a success, though we lost all track of time and wound up staying up way to late on a school night. Oh well, it's the journey to bed that counts, not the destination, right?

India night was celebrated with our family's chicken curry recipe, developed by my sweet grandmother. What a lady--born and raised in a tiny community near Mineral Wells, Texas, who knew nothing of the world before she married my grandfather. Little did she know, she would travel all the way around the world--visiting palaces, friending royalty, and spreading Texan charm all the way. If she were alive today, I would get her to tell you the story of teaching the Maharani to make jam in the palace kitchen. But she is alive in me, and I will tell you the moral of her story: nothing is impossible for you when you are open to adventure. Bloom where you are planted... y'all. :)

Here is Grandma's Curry Recipe... brought to you by a remarkable woman named Laverne, and her legacy of unintended adventure being the sweetest!

1 medium potato, cubed
3/4 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
4 tsp. curry powder (I halfed it for my crew)
2 tsp. tumeric
1 jalepeno, sliced (I omitted this for my crew)
1 Tbsp. vinegar
3/4 lb. chicken
2 Tbsp. Crisco
2 C. water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 C. chicken broth
Rice

Boil chicken and reserve broth. Warm Crisco and curry powder together in big saucepan. Fry garlic, onion, and potato all slowly in the pan. When they are fried, add broth and 1 C. water. Continue boiling, adding tumeric, jalepeno and vinegar. Continue boiling until potatoes are done. Add chicken, and boil another 5 minutes. Make rice while boiling. Add last cup of water to get desired consistency (soup-like.) Delicious with mango chutney.

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment